Key Verse: 1 Timothy 3:14-15
14 I write these things to you, hoping to come to you soon. 15 But if I should be delayed, I have written so that you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.
- The church is important because it reveals Christ, even as Christ reveals God in human flesh.
- Relationships: The Household of God
- The relational connection is a product of a common relationship with Jesus Christ as one’s Savior and Lord.
- This makes the collective gathering God’s people like nothing else on the earth. In fact, it should be so transformative that it looks a bit like heaven.
- The church is not about individualism
- The church is not an event
- Presence: God is here
- In a world of dead idols, our God is alive
- Expectancy is the breeding ground for miracles
- Church: called out people
- It is an assembly to meet with God - the living God
- The church is a called out group of people who gather to experience the presence of God.
- The church is most glorious, alive, and vibrant when the gathered assembly knows that God is in her midst.
- Truth: Proclaiming Eternally Important News
- Pillar: Majestically adorns a building to make it seen or noticed - as the pillar, she is to boldly display the beauty and majesty of the truth of God.
- Foundation: provides support and stability for the building - as the foundation, the church is to hold to the truth firmly so that it doesn’t collapse under the weight of false teaching.
Questions for Reflection
- What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of church? What were your first/early experiences of attending church? Were those positive or negative experiences in your faith journey and why?
- Someone once said, “Church is something we are.” What does that mean to you? How might your life look different if you lived as though the church wasn’t a destination or an event, but something you are?
- Pastor Sam mentioned that our expectancy is the breeding ground for miracles to happen in our lives? Is that a true or false statement?
- How important is the church? The answer to this question can be found in the value that God places on the church. According to Acts 20:28, what did God do for the church?
Someone tried to describe what it means to really commit to a local church. They came up with some pledge statements to be shared by all members. What do you agree or disagree with and why? What encourages you and what challenges or convicts you?
- I will protect the unity of my church by acting in love toward other members, by refusing to gossip, and by following the leaders.
- I will share the responsibility of my church by praying for its growth, and by inviting others to attend.
- I will serve the ministry of my church by discovering my gifts and talents, by being equipped to serve by the church, and by developing a servant’s heart.
- I will support the testimony of my church by attending faithfully, by living a godly life, and by giving regularly.